Friday, August 22, 2008

Hamsa or Hamsah or Hamzah?

Been wanting to post about this in my blog since I got back from the pilgrims tour, but yea.. as usual, just got the time for research and take photos.
I get to know Hamsa since I like to browse on flickr. First was looking for things made from flannel or felt, next I found that I start looking for anything that can inspire me.. other people's creations and just, everything.I saw this image on Ilil Ziv's flickr photostream. She made lots of beautiful Hamsa out of polymer clay, oh, I so envy her creativity..haha.. I was thinking where can I get those beautiful stuff?
So, last month, when I get the chance to go to Israel, where she lives, I'm so happy. Well, I didn't contact her. I just kept my eyes looking around everytime we get a chance to pass a nearby market. They sell a lot of Hamsa accesories from hangings, key chain, earrings, painting, etc. I only bought one quite big Hamsa to hang in my car and two keychains (one for my boyfriend and one I keep for myself, I like collecting keychain fyi).

What is this Hamsa anyway.. why does it has the shape of a hand and an eye in the middle. A bit scarry too (the eye) if you're thinking about it.
This is all I can find in the internet about Hamsa or Hamsah or Hamzah; as many people call it.

Hamsa , Hamsah
Hamsa one of the most ancient amulets or symbols of many religions, the Hamsa of Judaic faith or Hand of Fatima from the Islamic belief is one of the original protective signs. In all religions, it is believed that the one, who wears it or hangs it in his house, will be protected from the Evil Eye and other negative thoughts. Amulets are intended to guard and protect a person, his family and all his effects - from the violence of nature and from sorcery and demons. Sometimes they are intended to heal the sick, to dispel infertility, to protect travelers on a journey, to bring good fortune and success, or to evoke good will and love. Kabbalah is a body of mystical Jewish teachings based on an interpretation of hidden meanings in the Hebrew Scriptures. Magic amulets are mentioned by Rabbis in the Mishna and Talmud written 2000 years ago. The user hoped for good fortune, success, wedding, children or health, in exchange for wearing this holy symbol or document.

But, in the packaging, it only says Lucky Eye.. A lot of Israel people hang this ornament in their cars (as I saw it on the street). Well, guess they do believe that this amulet will give them protections. Me? I'm just enjoying its beauty. I was afraid to buy it too at first, well, coz I don't really know what it means. So I asked my tour guide and he said it's a Gods' hand symbol and people believe it's for protection, so I think it's good.
I'm planning to make Hamsa from flannel. You think it'll be good? But maybe without the eye, hahaha..

Other great Hamsa creators: Iris Mishly, Ronit Golan, and many more..

No comments: