Sunday, October 26, 2008

Locks of love..

Just browsing on the internet and I found this site, www.locksoflove.org from Nikki's blog. Fyi, Nikki is a crafter whose blog I love to visit sometimes. She just donated her hair for this organization recently.

Hair? Why hair?
Well, (as describe in the website) Locks of love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantage children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis in the United States and Canada.
Most of the children they helped have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The other causes of the hairloss is cancer. It is said that every year, aproximately 2,200 children under age 20 is diagnosed with brain tumors. Radiation treatement for cancer and chemotheraphy caused these children to have a permanent hair loss.
Locks of love here using the donated hair to create the highest quality of hair prosthetics (rambut palsu), and these prostheses they provides is to help these children to restore their self-esteem and confidence.

what I think : It reminds me about the recent conversation I just had with my cousin.. she called me about having a hair extension together. These beauty salon she's used to go just had a new hair piece coming, smoother and just better quality than before. They offered her a cheap price (they said), about 250k rupiahs each set (1 set is about 10 pieces/small locks). I said no, coz I already had it with hair extensions, need a lot of caring and things.. and yea, I just said no.
Most of us nowadays just think about ourselves, our image, how to look good, here and that. And when I saw this, I think that we've gotten a bit selfish. Look at these children and their need of confidence.. Why don't we spend the money we use for extension to help them? or instead, donate those hair or your own.. I wish I have a longer hair to donate, they ask for 10 inches at least.
See their happy faces here..
By the way, do we have this kind of organization in Indonesia?

2 comments:

Rashai said...

You are right, I'd rather donating the money for children in Africa.. I wish I had long enough hair to be donated.. maybe I should grow my hair first.. :-)

Jeanne M. Wigoena said...

@ Rashai : Yea.. even a little means a lot to them. I have a lot of dolls that I got as a presents and ones I bought my self, I want to donate them too.. hope they like it. (^^,)*